CURRENT NOTES THE xx INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF AMERICANISTS The preliminary announcement of the Congress which according to present arrangements is to be held between the 18th and 30th of June, 1919, has just been received and contains the following particulars : The session will be held at Rio de Janeiro under the auspices of the Museu Nacional, Instituto Historico e Geographico Brasileiro, Bibliotheca Nacional, Sociedade de Geographia do Rio de Janeiro, Archivo Nacionale, Instituto Historico e Geographico Fluminenseern cooperaqiio com a Academia Nacional de Medicina, Instituto da Ordem dos Advogados Brasileiros, Club de Engenharia, Serviqo Geologic0 do Brasil, Serviqo de ProtecGSo aos Indios, Repartiqiio Geral dos Telegraphos, Observatorio Astronomico e Escola Nacional de Bellas Artes. During the session excursions will be made, both scientific and for recreation; besides which visits will be arranged to museums, historical, geographical and other institutions, which stand in relation to the activities of the Congress. The usual regulations are made concerning communications and discussion. The membership dues will be $5.00. The organizing committee is at present constituted as follows : President: Dr. Lauro Muller. First Vice-president: Gal. G. Thaumaturgo de Asevedo. Second Vice-president: Dr. A. Carlos Simoens da Silva. Third Vice-president: Dr. Antonio Pacheco Leiio. Secretary-General: Sr. Alfredo Mariano de Oliveira. Treasurer: Dr. Antonio A. Serpa Pinto. Assistant Treasurer: Dr. Alfredo LisbGa. Secretary: Dr. Luiz Palmier. First Assistant Secretary: Dr. Francisco Bhering. Second Assistant Secretary: Dr. A. Morales de 10s Rios. Members Dr. Leopoldo Teixeira Leite. Dr. Pedro August0 Carneiro Lessa. Dr. Ennes de Souza. Conde Paul0 de Frontin. Dr. Miguel Calmon du Pin e Almdda. Dr. Joiio Carvalho MourSo. Dr. Antonio Carlos Ribeiro de Bariio de Rmniz GalvSo. Dr. Henrique Morize. Andrada. Dr. Aurelio Lopes de Souza. Dr. Euclydes Barroso. Dr. Julio Benedicto Ottoni. Dr. Gonzaga de Campos. Dr. Antonio Olyntho dos Santos Pires. Dr. Jose Gerald0 de Bezerra Dr. Joiio Teixeira Soares. Menezes. Dr. Joiio Coelho Goines RibeDr. Jog0 Coelho G. Lisboa. Dr. Escragnolle Doria. iro. Dr. Jose Americo dos Santos. 129 AMIR. JOUR. PHYS. ANTHROP., VOL. 1, NO. 1 130 CURRENT NOTES The Brazilian Congress will be one of special importance, both for Brazil itself and for American anthropology; and it is most desirable that the United States be largely represented. It should not be forgotten in this connection that in the XIX session of the Congress in Washington there were enrolled not less than 24 Brazilian scientific institutions. Mr. F. W. Hodge, up to recently the Ethnologist in charge of the Bureau of American Ethnology of the Smithsonian Institution, has accepted a position a t the Museum of the American Indian, Heye Foundation, New York City, which will enable him to devote himself in a large measure to field exploration in the Southwest. The selection of the new Chief of the Bureau resulted in the appointment to that position of Dr. J. Walter Fewkes, a member of the Bureau since 1895. Under the will of Mrs. Evelyn MacCurdy Salisbury, of New Haven, widow of the late Professor Edward E. Salisbury, Yale University is to receive the sum of $50,000 to found a professorship t o be called the Charles Johnson MacCurdy professorship of Anthropology, in memory of her father. This bequest is subject to a life annuity. The will also provides for a conditional annual gift of $1,500 to be expended a t the discretion of Professor George Grant MacCurdy for the benefit of the Anthropological Section of the Yale Museum. Another provision is that upon the decease of Professor MacCurdy the sum of $60,000 is to be paid t o either (1) Yale University to create a research fund to be called the Evelyn MacCurdy Salisbury Research Fund in Anthropology, to be used preferably for research work in Prehistoric Archeology, Somatology and Ethnology; or (2) Connecticut College for Women at New London to found a professorship t o be called the Charles Johnson MacCurdy professorship of American History (in memory of her father) , as George Grant MacCurdy shall designate by his last will, a power of apportionment as between these two institutions being conferred upon him. A meeting of the Eastern Association of Graduates of the Angle School of Orthodontia was held in the Osborn Library of the American Museum of Natural History on Saturday, January 26. President Henry Fairfield Osborn of the American Museum welcomed the association to the Museum and reviewed briefly the work of Cope, Wortman, Osborn, and others on the teeth. A copy of President Osborn’s book, “The Evolution of the Mammalian Molar Teeth,’’ was presented to each member of the association. The following papers were presented: “The Evolution of Orthodonty” by William K. Gregory. “The Bearing of Physical Anthropology on Orthodontia” by Louis R. Sullivan. “Pathology of the Alveolar Processes of the Jaw” by A. HopewellSmith. CTJRRENT NOTES 131 Courses of free public leckures on subjects of hygienic importance will be given during 1918 by several important medical colleges. The program of two such courses, one by the Harvard and the other by the Stanford University Medical School, is given in Science of December 28, 1917, page 632. Several of the lectures will be of anthropological interest. Dr. Arthur Keith, F. R. S., conservator of the Museum of the Royal College of Surgeons, has been appointed Fullerian professor of physiology in the Royal Institution. Dr. Raymond Pearl, biologist in the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station, and at present at the head of the statistical department of the United States Food Administration, has been appointed head of the department of biometry and vital statistics in the new school of hygiene and public health of the Johns Hopkins University. A discovery which may eventually prove of some anthropological interest is that of a “growth controlling” substance, named “Tethelin,” by T. B. Robertson, Professor of biochemistry a t the University of California. For the present the new substance, which is prepared from the pituitary body, is being tested in surgery and promises to be of value in accelerating the healing of wounds or fractured bones which had previously refused to yield to treatment. The discoverer has given his patents to the University for the endowment of medical research. On November 17, 1917, Professor Franklin P. Mall, one of the foremost authorities in the United States on Anatomy and Embryology, died at Baltimore following two operations for gall stones, in his fiftysixth year. Doctor Mall held the Chair of Professor of Anatomy at Johns Hopluns University since 1893, in addition to which since 1915 he was the Director of the Department of Embryology of the Carnegie Institution of Washington. He was directly interested in physical anthropology and since 1913 had associated with himself an anthropologist in his embryological investigations.