вход по аккаунту


AC1819 Guidance information about how to - Auckland Council

код для вставки
Guidance information about how to
respond to the seismic performance
assessment of your building
The purpose of this document is to provide you guidance for responding to the enclosed Initial
Evaluation Procedure (IEP) assessment of the seismic performance of your building. We conducted
this assessment in accordance with Auckland Council’s Earthquake-Prone, Dangerous and
Insanitary Buildings Policy, which focuses on buildings constructed prior to 1976.
We have broadly assessed the seismic performance of your building in relation to the National
Building Standard (NBS). This assessment may not have addressed all the performance
characteristics of your building. However, it provides a preliminary indication of the seismic
performance of the building as well as whether further investigation and / or strengthening work is
What should I do when I receive an IEP?
Review the IEP, to ensure that the basic information contained within it is correct and confirm
whether you agree with or have additional information to amend its contents.
I.e. is the
assessment a reasonable judgement of the buildings performance? Please let us know by writing
or emailing the writer via the contact details provided in the covering letter attached to the IEP.
Alternatively, you may wish to engage your own engineer to undertake a comparative, or a more
detailed assessment of the seismic performance of the building.
Checking the details of the IEP?
Without incurring the expense of engaging a chartered professional engineer (CPEng), you may
wish to check the following details of the building and let us know if they are different to what we
have noted. The details you can check are as follows:
• Age of the building
• The total height of the building above ground level
• Distance between neighbouring buildings (please provide measurements in millimetres)
• Importance level - refer to Appendix A in the Councils Earthquake-Prone, Dangerous and
Insanitary Buildings Policy, which is available on our website
If you have any photographs to illustrate the above points, or plans we may not already have on file,
please attach copies of these to your correspondence.
During our assessment we may not have identified any previous strengthening work carried out on
the building, if this is the case please advise us what we have missed. If strengthening work was
undertaken, please advise the year in which this occurred and / or the building permit or the building
consent reference number.
Where plans do not indicate the seismic performance level that the building was raised to, we may
ask that a report be provided from a CPEng with experience in this field.
Page 1 of 2
October 2012
AC1819 (v.1)
In some cases, seismic strengthening has been limited to the insertion of steel portal frames or work
of a similar nature. Where this is the case, the overall performance of the building may not
necessarily have been improved to the level required.
If we find that we have incorrectly assessed the seismic performance of your building, we will
amend the IEP accordingly.
Have your engineer undertake a comparative IEP
If you believe that the details of our IEP are misrepresentative of the building, you may wish to
engage a CPEng to undertake a comparative assessment on your behalf.
If you choose this option, the following actions are required:
• Engage a CPEng and commission a report on the seismic performance of the building
• The engineer must be a CPEng employed by a reputable firm who has the capability to carry
out this work
o the engineer must be competent in the use of the New Zealand Society of
Earthquake Engineering’s “Red Book” procedure
• The report must have detailed calculations attached and identify the NBS rating
o the report must be building specific, therefore if your building is part of a cluster of
buildings, even if linked, a separate set of calculations for each building is required
o this ensures that each unique building can have its own rating
We must receive your CPEng report within 3 months of the date of the covering letter attached,
unless we agree to an extension of time.
• Adequate justification for any variables must be discussed within the report, for example:
• Any differences between your engineer’s IEP and the Council IEP
• Ductility scaling factors utilised; or
• Any other factors
Failing to provide an IEP in this format or with inadequate supporting details may require further
work on your behalf.
Please contact us if an extension of time is required.
Detailed Engineering Evaluation (DEE)
You may wish to obtain a much more accurate assessment of a building’s performance, or prepare
for a retrofit project, for which purpose you can obtain a DEE of your building.
As with an IEP, each building should have its own report (or form part of a larger report) and the
DEE report must be prepared and signed off by a CPEng within 3 months of the assessment,
unless an extension is granted.
Page 2 of 2
October 2012
AC1819 (v.1)
Без категории
Размер файла
46 Кб
Пожаловаться на содержимое документа